Alarm Fatigue - Overview and Trends
This online, self-paced training program provides an overview of alarm fatigue, including current statistics related to adverse patient safety events in hospitals, possible contributing factors, as well as past and current efforts related to alarm safety by the health care industry.
Our world is full of beeps, bleeps, and buzzes – there are alarm tones that remind us a message is waiting. In the healthcare environment, alarms to notify personnel of patient and equipment situations have increased significantly over the last decade. From IV pumps and patient monitors to bed sensors and pneumatic pressure devices, nurses are alerted by an audible tone when a potentially unsafe condition has occurred.
This self-paced online learning program provides an overview of alarm fatigue, from a historical perspective, as well as identifying the current trends and addressing future considerations.
By the end of this program, the participants should be able to
• Summarize current statistics related to adverse patient events in hospitals
• State past or current efforts/plans of health care industry organizations such as the FDA, JCAHO and AAMI that focus on alarm safety
• Define the concept of Alarm Fatigue
• Discuss contributing factors of Alarm Fatigue
• Describe considerations for action related to Alarm Management and Patient Safety
• Identify the actions hospitals have implemented to reduce adverse events related to alarm fatigue
The course objectives specifically target Healthcare Providers and Nurses.
1. The issue
2. Contributing Factors
3. Sentinel Events
4. The Joint Commisions’s Stance
5. Ongoing Initiatives
6. Hospitals’ Possible Solutions
7. Recommendations for Practice
Dr Hema G
The theory, practical , hospital situations , data shown and live workshop to have the feel in action, made us more aware and broadened our knowledge to handle cardiac patients. It was a great learning experience and I wont change any aspect of the course.
Dr Hemang Agrawal
Great learning experience! Instructors and content truly differentiates GE programs. Special thanks to faculty for making it more interactive and useful. Would highly recommend to my peers and colleagues!
I am completely satisfied by the program. The content, faculty were well planned, over all experience was superb!