Nurses play a critical role in the prevention and control of infectious diseases. This course provides a review of the types of infections and ways to reduce the risk of infection. Isolation terminology, types of isolation, and nursing care considerations are discussed. The Joint Commission presents information about their National Patient Safety Goal (NPSG) 7 and the details of the new NPSG 07.06.01 on the prevention of catheter-associated urinary tract infection (CAUTI).
By the end of this program, the participant should be able to:
1. Describe infection prevention and the role of an infection preventionist within the hospital setting.
2. Define and describe hospital acquired infections (HAI).
3. Explain methods to prevent hospital acquired infections.
This course objectively target nurses.
- Types of Infection
- Reducing the Risk of Infection
- Review of the Joint Commission’s National Patient Safety Goal #7
- Reducing Catheter Associated Urinary Tract Infections