Disease prevalence increases substantially about 10 years after menopause and provides an opportunity to institute prevention strategies at the onset of menopause. The Women’s Health Initiative was largely misinterpreted and many women have been denied appropriate hormone therapy. Hormone therapy in younger women decreases mortality, a finding consistent with the data from older observational trails. Hormone therapy is efficacious for menopause symptoms and the prevention of osteoporosis. Compelling evidence points to the possibility of considering hormone therapy as part of the strategy for prevention.
After completing this course, you should be able to:
• Describe the changes that occur after menopause and the long-term consequences.
• Identify the current indications for hormone therapy.
• Define the findings of the Women’s Health Initiative studies and their current interpretation.
• Describe the true risks and benefits of hormone therapy symptoms and prevention of osteoporosis.
• Identify alternatives to the use of hormones for menopausal symptoms and prevention of osteoporosis.
• Describe the risk-to-benefit equation in younger women at the onset of menopause (compared to older women) and the possibility of the role of hormone therapy as a prevention therapy.
The course objectives specifically target obstetricians and gynecologists.
• Epidemiology and Care for the Postmenopausal Women
• Vasomotor Symptoms and Bone Loss at Menopause
• Indications for Hormonal Therapy After Menopause and the Women’s Health Initiative Studies
• Putting the Current Results of the Women’s Health Initiative into Perspective
• Risks and Concern with Hormone Therapy
• Hormone Options for Vasomotor Symptoms
• Alternatives to Estrogen for Vasomotor Symptoms
• Hormone Therapy and Alternatives for the Prevention of Osteoporosis
• Consideration of Hormone Therapy as Part of the Strategy for Preventive Healthcare
Dr Hema G
The theory, practical , hospital situations , data shown and live workshop to have the feel in action, made us more aware and broadened our knowledge to handle cardiac patients. It was a great learning experience and I wont change any aspect of the course.
Dr Hemang Agrawal
Great learning experience! Instructors and content truly differentiates GE programs. Special thanks to faculty for making it more interactive and useful. Would highly recommend to my peers and colleagues!
I am completely satisfied by the program. The content, faculty were well planned, over all experience was superb!